Saturday, December 19, 2009

Mowgli For A Day

Before heading back from town last night, I stopped into a spa to enquire about massages, choosing the place mainly due to their billboard out front which boasted a review from The Lonely Planet. It wasn’t until today that I realized they could have easily made that review up; what are the chances that TLP would hear about it, let alone do anything?

The spa’s reception was at the end of a twisting path in (which felt like) a jungle. Convinced it was OK, I booked an appointment for today and they offered a driver to collect me at the hotel, at no charge.

The driver was about twenty minutes late but it didn’t matter to me or them. I was greeted with another “welcome drink” (ice-cold jasmine water) and a cold, scented facecloth. The clerk confirmed my booking – a two-hour Thai aromatherapy massage with 30 bonus minutes on the feet – gave me my invoice, had me choose my oil (lemongrass all the way!) and had me follow the therapist further through the jungle to the bamboo hut.

The hut, made in traditional Thai style had three walls. The missing wall revealed the jungle and the lagoon. Very cool! The massage took place on a thin mattress on the floor and much like the massage from the beach it involved a lot of pulling, twisting and kneeling. You know how you usually listen to a CD with soothing sounds and chirping birds when you get a massage in the city? Well, between the gentle breeze swaying leaves on the trees, and the natural sounds of the birds and the frogs, such a CD wasn’t necessary.

I jumped in the outdoor shower and returned to the main room to find a pineapple smoothie and fresh fruit plate waiting for me. I sat with my legs dangling off the edge of the floor for about ten minutes, enjoying my snack. No one rushed me out of there; I probably could have stayed all afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment